Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Still...ouch.

Because of my struggle with MPS and pain while running, my posts have been a bit doom and gloom lately.  Let me lighten things up before I speak to my running today.  I took Rowan today for his 6 months pictures at Richardson Studio in Bloomington.  We've never been there before, but we've seen their pictures and they are amazing.  Especially those of babies.  We haven't had his picture professionally taken (other than at the hospital) yet and so I wanted to splurge a little.  I was happy that he took an early nap and then slept another 20 minutes in the car on the way there.  A good mood should have been a guarantee.

And it was.  He let me change his clothes without any protest.  I had him in a puppy dog-covered onesie and his bare, fat legs showing.  The photographer had this sort of hollowed-out log prop (much cuter that it sounds) for me to place him in.  He was all smiles.  I placed him in the log, and within 3 seconds he tumbled over, face first, onto the floor.  The worst screaming I have ever heard out of him ensued.  He was fine--just scared.  We waited a few minutes, got him calm, and tried again.  This time, she used some blankets to prop up the log so it wouldn't tumble.  I put him in it...and I'll be darned if the same thing didn't happen again.  Bam!  Right on his face.  He screeeeeeeeaaaaaaaammmed.  It was awful. I held him, and he calmed down.  But every time I tried to put him down on the floor, a chair, etc., he screamed in terror.  So she took a lot of pics of me holding him.  Wes showed up to watch and was a great help.  Finally we got Rowan to sit in a chair.  He was adorable.  His fat little legs stole the show.  Then, just as she announced she was finished, he began laughing, smiling, and wanting to crawl all over the floor.  So we got some pics of that.  I can't WAIT to see them, but that was quite tiresome.  And I'll never put him in a log again.

So I was supposed to run 10 miles today.  Don't worry, I did.  I went to bed last night with my tummy so sore I didn't know how I'd be able to move in the morning, much less run.  I was very stiff this morning, and very sore, but it was better than when I went to bed.  After lugging Rowan around, I got a little more sore.  I decided that I'd start my run on the treadmill--that way if I needed to bail I could, and just finish up on my bike.  I ended up doing 4 on the treadmill and 6 outside.  I ran very slowly.  My entire belly is just really, really sore.  So it's very hard to detect any change in the pain.  My whole abdomen just feels like a car ran over it.  I'm very, very, VERY glad I don't run again until Thursday.  They said the cortisone would take 2-7 days to kick in.  I'm hoping to notice a considerable difference on Thursday.  One thing I did notice--a few times I tried running on grass, and the pain was considerably less.  Anything to reduce impact, I guess.

Tomorrow is Wednesday.  Wednesdays are busy.  I'm giving an exam to my students (a pretty big one--it covers hepatic/pancreatic/biliary/bowel/respiratory/renal disturbances), meeting with Dr. Houze, and then tutoring.  I'll try to squeeze in a post after my meeting with Dr. Houze.

No comments:

Post a Comment